Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 122: 45-Point NFMC Gold Cup

Isn't it a beauty?
Yesterday my piano students participated in Central Gwinnett chapter's National Federation of Music Clubs Federated Festival. Along with a couple hundred other young musicians, they took turns playing two memorized solos in front of a judge for written criticism and a rating. Months of preparation goes into the event and it is a real growth experience for the students. Not only must they work hard to learn the music, they must also learn to manage the performance anxiety that often occurs on festival day. It is heartbreaking when deserving students crumble under the pressure; similarly, it is frustrating when those who have procrastinated somehow manage to fool the judges and receive high ratings they did not truly merit. I am glad I can be there to help pick up the pieces for the unlucky few, to assure them that I am satisfied with their rating, high or low, because I know they did their best, and one's best is always enough.

Fortunately, though, most of the time results match preparation, and the majority of my students earn the highest rating possible, a "Superior," which earns them 5 points towards a trophy. These points accumulate over the years; when they reach 15, students receive a their first gold cup, and have the potential to earn gradually larger trophies at the 30, 45, 60, and 75-point levels. Yesterday I was proud to pick up a 45-point cup for my student Tim V., the first ever for Asberry School of Music. That trophy represents many long hours of diligent practice--literally years of hard work. Way to go, Tim!

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I think there are days working with kids when one just doesn't see a reason to teach them any longer because all the energy put in to it seems a waste of time. I think maybe stuff like this is what makes it worthwhile and it pays off for you as well as them. Congratulations! It's also a great advertisement for the Asberry School of Music.

Pam Asberry said...

You are absolutely right. Without milestones like this, it would be all work and no play. I am so proud of my students!

Kathleen Simpson said...

I noticed the comment about the frustrating procrastinating students. I find it hard to believe ANY of your students would do that.

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, Kathleen! Thanks for commenting. :-)