Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 78: Goal, Motivation and Conflict


In preparation for National Novel Writing Month, Monday I took the time to write Goal, Motivation and Conflict charts for the main characters in my new book, as explained in the book Goal, Motivation and Conflict by Debra Dixon. When I first began fiction writing, I fancied myself a "pantser" - that is, an author who writes "by the seat of her pants," or without an outline. Unfortunately, the result of that was characters that fell flat and a story that had little plot or conflict. So this time, I decided to try a different approach. Now it is Tuesday; I wrote 1678 words today, exceeding my daily goal of 1667 words. Most important, I feel that I have a strong start to a well-crafted story. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Bryonna Nobles said...

I might have to check that book out. Good luck with NaNo!

Pam Asberry said...

After this post, I learned that Deb Dixon came to GRW shortly before I joined and did a workshop on GMC. I'm hoping she comes back someday soon!