Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 73: Farewell to Stromness

There have been a handful of times in my life when, driving and listening to the radio, I heard a piece of music that I connected with so deeply that I literally had to stop the car so I could really pay attention. Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings. Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes. Kimya Dawson's I Like Giants. It's an eclectic mix, to be sure. My musical mind works in mysterious ways.

Well, a few weeks ago, it was Peter Maxwell Davies' Farewell to Stromness that stopped me cold. I couldn't find a piano rendition on YouTube that I liked as much as the one I heard on public radio, but I did enjoy this arrangement by the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet.


Anyway, I ordered the sheet music that afternoon; it finally arrived today. So this evening I spent a very pleasurable thirty minutes or so attempting to play it for the very first time. When it is polished and ready, I may record it and put it on YouTube myself. I think it might make a lovely mandolin solo, too.

Have you ever been so distracted by music that you had to pull off the road to listen to it?

6 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

I can tell you one time I should have pulled over to the side of the road. I was driving home at night, in the rain and I was just outside of Vincennes and a classic radio station played Judy Collins singing "Amazing Grace." I am such a sucker for a beautiful voice and this performance made me cry as hard as the rain was coming down.
My husband listens to Public Radio and will often try to catch a title to write down and find later, whether classical or jazz. I've added yours to my list.

Pam Asberry said...

That *IS* a beautiful song, Julee, and no one sings it like Judy Collins. Let me know if you check out this piece; I have no idea who the artist was, but it was a magnificent recording, a bit slower than the versions i found on YouTube.

pat said...

I know those first 3 but that is no surprise.
"Adagio" makes me cry and "Butterfly" is my anthem.
Do you have a link to hear a version of "Farewell?"

The song that stands out in my mind is a particular arrangement for "Battle Hymn of the Republic" that I sang in choir. Always gave me goosebumps.

Michele Stefanides said...

Last year, I was so distracted by a Tom Petty CD that I missed a turn on the way to my Dad's and ended up in New York. I didn't even realize it until I saw the great big "Welcome to New York" sign. And this is a route I've been driving for years!! I also tend to drive over 80mph when I play Yanni. Neither of these guys is allowed in my car anymore!

Pam Asberry said...

It is true that being involved in making the music can be even more powerful than merely listening to it, Pat. Send me a link to "Farewell."

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, Michelle! We must choose our traveling companions wisely... ;-)