Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 59: Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel Topping


I had six overripe bananas begging to be baked into something delicious. Once upon a time, I would have used them to whip up a batch of my tried and true banana bread (click HERE). But now that I am constantly on the lookout for new things to try, I scoured the internet and found this recipe for Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel (click HERE) which first appeared in Bon Appetit magazine. It got rave reviews, so I decided to give it a go myself. Here is my version.

BANANA STRUESEL COFFEE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE CHIP STREUSEL TOPPING

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
3 tablespoons buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

To make streusel, combine chocolate chips, brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Beat sugar, butter and egg in a large bowl until fluffy; mix in mashed bananas and buttermilk. Add flour mixture and blend well.

Spread half of batter in pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel. Bake about 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool at least ten minutes before serving.


This cake is moist and delicious - so dense and chocolaty that it is almost too rich for breakfast. The next time I make it - and there WILL be a next time - I will probably reduce the chocolate chips and sugar by a third to a half. I think it would be good without the chocolate chips too, but then it would be an entirely different animal. One final note: the chocolate chips make this recipe almost impossible to test for doneness, and because my cake was getting so brown on top, I removed it from the oven a few minutes before the prescribed time, resulting it in not quite being done in the middle. My advice? Cover with foil after about 30 minutes of baking time but give it the full 45 minutes.

This was a big hit at my house. Let me know what you think!

6 comments:

R.R. said...

I'm thinking that really looks great! RR

Julee J. Adams said...

Great idea about the foil--I've had that problem before.

Definitely one to try later, Thanks!

Pam Asberry said...

Anything with that much butter, sugar and chocolate has to be great - right, RR? ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

I use the same trick with pie crust, Julee. I keep thinking I should buy one of those aluminum shields, but I forget in between pie baking sessions.

Bryonna Nobles said...

Oh wow, that looks so yummy!

Pam Asberry said...

It was delicious, Bryonna! The bananas have been disappearing too fast around here for me to make this again; I just might have to hide some next time I go to Kroger!