Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 56: German Chocolate Pie, Part 2



I failed to get Theresa's recipe Friday night, but after sampling her German Chocolate Pie I knew I would have to try making one myself. This version turned out different from hers, but with its gooey chocolate filling and crunchy topping it is definitely a winner. Here are the instructions.


GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

10-inch pie crust (I use Pillsbury)
1 4-ounce package Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Line a deep dish pie plate with pastry crust; set aside.

Melt chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and slowly stir in evaporated milk; set aside.

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Using a wire whisk, gradually stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into unbaked pastry shell and sprinkle with coconut and chopped pecans.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool at least 4 hours before serving. Great topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

    6 comments:

    Julee J. Adams said...

    Man, I am so saving this for my "cheat week." A local restaurant does one, but it has merangue on it, rather than a crust and it's kind of a cream pie. This looks better to me.

    Thanks, all, it does look yummy.

    Pam Asberry said...

    I found German Chocolate Pie recipes like that, Julee, but this one resembled Theresa's more closely. I know it is decadent, but a small sliver goes a long way, and it is definitely worth every calorie. :-)

    Kathy said...

    Putting the ingredients on my weekly shopping list. Looks so good!

    Pam Asberry said...

    Yay, Kathy! Let me know what you think!

    Bryonna Nobles said...

    I'm bookmarking this for later. It looks amazing!

    Pam Asberry said...

    It was amazing, Bryonna. But be warned: a little goes a long way!