Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 42: Wicked

My eyes were red from crying.
Tonight Nathan and I went to see the musical Wicked at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in downtown Atlanta. I have seen a lot of great shows over the years, but Wicked is now my all-time favorite musical. Of course, I had heard the name, even before one of my piano students asked me to accompany her and a friend singing For Good in her senior celebration a couple of years ago. I fell in love with the music and lyrics, but I didn't know anything about the story, other than that it related to the movie Wizard of Oz.

A few months ago, I heard through the grapevine that the show was coming to Atlanta, but when tickets went on sale, I simply couldn't justify the expense. Then, surprise! - my friend Pat wrote me a check and left me instructions to buy tickets when she came to visit for my birthday. As show day approached, I considered researching the plot and listening to more of the songs, but I decided against it; I love being surprised and have had too many movies spoiled by the previews. That was definitely the right call. The story is genius, the cast was excellent, and everything is better at the Fox. I laughed, I cried; I can't get it out of my head. Thanks, Pat, for making it possible for me to have this experience. I owe you one.

Have you seen Wicked? What is your all-time favorite musical?

12 comments:

Raining Roses said...

The ad for Wicked on tv is so enticing. So jealous that you got to see it!

Pam Asberry said...

I am so grateful to my friend Pat for funding these tickets. But now that I have actually seen the musical, I would make whatever sacrifices necessary to get there. It was genius!

eric said...

I want to go see it but Donna won't take me! :(

Pam Asberry said...

Do you want me to have a little talk with her, bro?

pat said...

Pam,
I am SO happy that you and Nathan were able to see Wicked! No need to mention it and you don't own me a thing. You have been a gift to me for 30 years.
Pat

Julee J. Adams said...

Excellent! My thanks to Pam for being another enabler in your life.

My favorite musical (so far) would still have to be "Pippin" by Stephen Schwartz, the guy who did "Godspell." I worked tech Winter Term my senior year in college for a production, but learned all the songs by heart. I saw the touring company come through Evansville 20+ years ago and last year, one of the local theater groups did it, so I got to take Chris.
Love live theater and should have volunteered and tried out while I was off work. Glad you had the chance to go!

Corrie said...

My daughter, Heather, and I LOVE Wicked! We have seen it twice. I love the story-line. Idina Menzel played Elphaba on Broadway. Idina came to Indianapolis last year and sang with their Symphony. Heather and I got tickets and went. AWESOME! It was so amazing to hear her sing several of the songs. Wicked is definitely my favorite musical.

Pam Asberry said...

Aw, shucks, Pat. (blushing)

Pam Asberry said...

I don't know "Pippin," Julee. Guess I'll add that to my list!

Pam Asberry said...

That sounds amazing, Corrie! I saw the woman who played the voice of Ariel in "The Little Mermaid" perform with the Atlanta Symphony a few years ago. That was fun, too; I watched that movie with my kids at least a hundred times!

Bryonna Nobles said...

When I saw this post title I screamed in jealousy! I love, love, LOVE Wicked. It is my favorite musical, beautiful story. So jealous you got to see it.

I got to see it when a few years ago when it came to the Fox and tickets were cheaper but, like you, I could not justify the expense this year. :(

Pam, next month, LeBUZZ's Drag Queen Cabaret are doing a tribute to Wicked and you should come with me to it! I really think you'd enjoy it!!

Pam Asberry said...

That sounds like a crazy good time, Bryonna. I just might take you up on that!