Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 29: Life Stories


My 23 year-old son and his girlfriend are staying with me this week, and this evening after supper, to indulge my need to try something new, they played Life Stories with me. The game was a Christmas gift to my ex-husband and me many years ago; it was still in its plastic wrapping. But tonight seemed the perfect time to break the seal and give it a whirl.

The premise is simple. Each player selects a marker - or uses a personal item, such as a coin or a ring - and move across the playing board towards the "Grand Celebration," selecting cards to share "memories," "valuables," and "etchings" along the way. If you don't like the card you draw, you can choose an "alternative," such as, "Ask each player to imitate a different laugh." Here are a few examples from tonight's game:

Describe a neighbor who was difficult to live with.
What is one kind of art that intrigues you. Why?
Describe one of your best or worst teachers.

Great questions, right?

This is a noncompetitive game, a concept my son seemed to have trouble wrapping his brain around; also, he kept getting cards that hit a little too close to home, and he seemed vaguely depressed at the conclusion of our adventure, even though he reached the "Grand Celebration" first. But I enjoyed the opportunity to share some of my personal stories and to get to know his girlfriend a little bit better.

My conclusion is that this is a great family board game and would be especially fun with multiple generations of family playing at the same time, maybe following a holiday meal. Check it out! You won't be disappointed.

10 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

How interesting! We haven't played a board game since New Years, two years ago. On the list. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Sounds great! Might be just the thing for an upcoming visit with my dd and her bf. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Denise said...

After the Monopoly bloodbaths that have happened in our home, this would be a welcomed change of pace.

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I think this would be fun to play even with someone you know intimately because of the nature of the questions, especially the memories cards; many of the subjects are the kinds of things that don't come up in everyday life. Let me know if you try it.

Pam Asberry said...

Definitely, Carol. My son said he thought it was a "girl's game" but I respectfully disagree. Besides, it would be a good test of your dd's boyfriend's true character. ;-) Have fun!

Pam Asberry said...

Our second choice was Simpsons Monopoly, Denise. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love board games and usually have trouble finding anyone to play them with me. My kids love video games. I've never heard of this game but it sounds fun.

Sia

Pam Asberry said...

My kids love video games too, Sia; that's why this was such a treat. It's good for them to engage in real conversation once in a while, don't you agree?

Bryonna Nobles said...

Oh wow, I love board games. I think we have 4 different versions of LIFE and 5 different versions of Monopoly. I also have Harry Potter Clue and adore Apples to Apples.

This game sounds like so much fun and I'd never heard of it before. I'm fighting the urge to go out and buy it right now! I'm really getting in the holiday spirit right now and board games seem to be associated with it. Though, for the life of me, I can't say why. We didn't really play board games.

I have to say though, I agree. I think this would be really fun after a nice holiday meal.

Pam Asberry said...

I love Apples to Apples too, Bryonna. I am hoping this will be our next family favorite.