Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 27: Mountain Music & Crafts Festival


By the end of last week, I was afraid that if I spent another day stuck inside these four walls I might explode. So I got up early Saturday morning and headed up to Vogel State Park near Blairsville, Georgia for the Mountain Music & Crafts Festival.

The closest I had ever come to Blairsville was Brasstown Bald, the highest point in the state of Georgia, so this was a real treat. Vogel State Park is stunningly beautiful, nestled as it is in the north Georgia mountains, and Saturday was a perfect day to be outdoors - sunny and 80 degrees.


The crafts festival was small but there were many quality items to admire. I bought a jar of home made fig preserves and drooled over the recycled glass jewelry from Dessin Creations. I picked up a business card and intend to treat myself to a pair of earrings as soon as possible. 

But oh, the music! I heard three bands over the course of the day.

Cornbread Ted & the Butter Beans
Steel String Session
Georgia Highlanders
Click the captions under the photos to go to each group's website and hear samples of their music. Each was delightful in its own way, but I will admit to a special fondness for Steel String Session with its smart, contemporary sound - bluegrass with a definite twist - and to living vicariously through Lisa Jacobi as she sang and danced and played her mandolin. After the show, I introduced myself to her and told her about getting a mandolin for my birthday (click HERE for the story) vowed that someday I, too, will play in a bluegrass band. After all, if Steve Martin can write books and play bluegrass, why can't I? She encouraged me in my dream, and insisted that I sing, too; as she explained, singing is the soul of bluegrass. All right, then, I shall sing!

After the festival was over, I stopped at a Blairsville diner for some supper - grilled trout, baked potato and mixed vegetables, all for $11.95 - and made it home before dark. As soon as I got back, I pulled out my mandolin and practiced until my fingers were sore. As soon as I finish this post, I am going to play some more. Fresh air, sunshine, and mountain music - it was just what I needed to clear my head and renew my soul.

10 comments:

Lisa Jacobi said...

Music is the conversation of many souls carried across the heart lines. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me after our show on Saturday. I look forward to the day that we play music together. Remember, to sing....

hugs,
LxoJ

Pam Asberry said...

It was a thrill to meet you, Lisa. As I said, I am your new biggest fan. I look forward to following you online and hope to see you perform again in person very, very soon! La, la, la...

KendallGrey said...

Music really does lighten the soul, doesn't it? I'm amazed by hearing just one good song can put me into a much better mood. Glad you had a fun time at Vogel! You deserve it. :-)

Maxine said...

Pam,
Now that is MY type of place! I love Vogel, but have not been when there is a festival. Love the music, too! I did not know you played the mandolin - you've got talent we dont' know about!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kendall! There's a bluegrass festival in Blairsville this weekend; now I'm trying to figure out how I can squeeze that in around the GRW meeting on Saturday, LOL!

Pam Asberry said...

Well, I don't REALLy play the mandolin, Maxine; I just got it for my birthday, and so far I only know how to play four chords and a G major scale, but a girl can dream, right?

Denise said...

I grew up going to the Bluegrass Festival in Smithville, TN. Music from the heart.

Julee J. Adams said...

Excellent adventure! Love me some bluegrass and yes, you could have another fine career. Thanks for sharing.

Pam Asberry said...

I'm going to have to google that, Denise. Sounds like something I might have to try!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you for that vote of confidence, Julee! If you actually heard me play the mandolin, you might encourage me in a different direction, LOL!