Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 2: Yves Veggie Shrimp Scampi

Now that school has started and it's just me here for lunch, I tend to keep it pretty simple. A baked potato and cottage cheese. A cup of yogurt and a piece of fruit. A slice of bread and a slice of cheese. I am pescatarian for the most part, although I will admit to indulging in my fondness for hot wings and bacon from time to time. I realize they are not vegetables, but I am very skilled in the art of playing pretend.

Today, though, I my lunch was strictly vegetarian. I tried Yves Veggie Shrimp Scampi, a manager's special in the health food department at Kroger this week.


Preparation was simple. Heat the "shrimp" in a bit of oil in a skillet for two minutes,


add the sauce, and cook for another 30 seconds.


I spooned mine over a bed of jasmine rice and added some soy sauce and red pepper flakes for extra flavor. Very satisfying. 

I give it a 3.5 on a 5-point scale.

For dessert, I had a cupcake leftover from my birthday party.

Aloha-oe.

Not exactly health food, but a lovely finish. Have you tried any good convenience food lately?

12 comments:

KendallGrey said...

Love your new site. I'm a strict vegetarian, so I'm always looking for new recipes and foods to try. I'll have to look for this "shrimp" stuff. Thanks for the post!

Pam Asberry said...

Kendall, my 19yo likes to take the "shrimp" and saute it with taco seasoning and make veggie shrimp quesadillas. I'm going to try that next. :-)

Christine said...

Great new blog. I am not allowed to eat any shellfish due to allergies. Not sure if the fake shrimp is allowed. But the dinner looks delicious. I also love the vision board in the first blog.

Good luck on your year of new things, Pam!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Christine. I bet you could eat this stuff; it's made from soy. The texture and taste are very much like shrimp; I bet you would like it. Thank you so much for visiting my new blog. I hope you will come back often!

Tami Brothers said...

LOVE that cupcake! The shrimp sound good, too.

:)

Pam Asberry said...

The cupcake was from Publix, Tami! And the "shrimp" were delicious!

Bryonna Nobles said...

You know for that not being real shrimp, it was very impressive looking. O.o I use to date a vegetarian but he was more into eating plain raw veggies than anything else. So this was interesting.

Pam Asberry said...

It was amazing how much this product resembled shrimp, Bryonna. They benefitted from some extra seasoning, but I will definitely use them again.

Dave in Wheat Ridge said...

What an interesting new product. I found some at Safeway and I just used it to make very hot chiplotle "shrimp" enchaladas. They came out great (and almost fooled my teenager). I'm going to pick up another package and try your scampi over some pasta. Thanks!

Pam Asberry said...

Sounds great, Dave! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Anonymous said...

I've been curious about this 'shrimp' for awhile but haven't tried it yet. I miss Kroger's manager specials so much!

Pam Asberry said...

I take it you live somewhere there isn't a Kroger, Anonymous. We live on those manager's specials. I would miss them, too!