Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 9: The Ultimate French Review and Practice

The Ultimate French Review & Practice

One of the things I decided to work on during my hiatus from fiction writing is relearning French. I have always loved the language and studied it throughout high school; looking back, I wish I had continued in college and/or spent some time living in France, studying piano and immersing myself in French culture. Instead, I took a year of German, which I also enjoyed; however, instead of becoming fluent in either language, the German confused my French and now, almost thirty-five years later, I have forgotten much of both. 

I would also like to learn some Italian, but I have decided that the best place to begin before I go to Europe - and I AM going to Europe, although I don't know when or how - is with a good review of French. Several months ago, I purchased a couple of workbooks from Amazon to help me; today, I finally got started. Using the book pictured above, I reviewed the present tense of regular -er, -ir, and -re verbs, and did the corresponding exercises, checking my work with the answer key in the back. (I missed three out of thirty).

My friend S.M. Carriere told me about Livemocha, an online foreign language learning community, offering a variety of classes, resources, and opportunities for live conversation. I intend to create an account and check it out. But that is a blog post for another day...

4 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Very good! I didn't do well in my one semester of German in college. I couldn't "hear" it, but it was my fault, because I didn't spend time in the language lab.

Thanks for mentioning the one site. I have one character who is learning Japanese and one who is learning French. I live vicariously, you know.

Pam Asberry said...

I learned today, Julee, that another friend has used the site to practice her Spanish and found it very helpful. That's cool that your characters are learning foreign languages too!

Bryonna Nobles said...

My friend, Kari, speaks French but its one of the most difficult languages for me. I've never tried to all out learn it but its popular in a lot of the styles of books I like to read. One thing I learned: You cannot sound out French words. I butcher them!

Good luck though! Keep us posted on how its going.

Pam Asberry said...

It's true, Bryonna; French phonics are nothing like English. I need to meet your friend Kari and see whether or not I can hold my own in a conversation!