Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 8: Apple Streusel Coffee Cake



Three sorry-looking apples have been "going begging" in my refrigerator, but in these frugal times I don't like to throw anything away. This morning thoughts of apple streusel coffee cake started swirling through my mind but I didn't have the sour cream, pecans or oatmeal for my usual recipe. So today I decided to try something new, using ingredients that most of us usually have in our pantries.

QUICK APPLE STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE

Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups chopped apples

Stir dry ingredients together; beat egg, milk and oil and combine with to dry ingredients, then add chopped apples and mix well. Pour into a well greased 8-inch square pan.

Streusel Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together and sprinkle over top of batter. Bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes or until done.


This cake was delicious, but little bit sweet for my taste. Next time I will reduce the sugar in the cake and add some nutmeg and cardamom along with the cinnamon and substitute brown sugar for some of the white sugar in the topping - maybe cut in an addition tablespoon of butter, too. And one could easily replace some or all of the white flour with whole wheat, according to preference. I will definitely use this recipe again. Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Sounds yummy! I will definitely add this to my list of recipe's to try.

Thanks for sharing.

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

Let me know how it goes, Tami!